Position: Relationship Manager
Location: Crystal City, VA
Nature & Scope: The primary purpose of this position is to provide relationship management for the Specialty Finance Strategic Business Unit (SBU) in alignment with the SBU strategic plan, goals and tactics. A successful candidate will have the capacity to provide relationship management over a range of sectors served by the Specialty Finance SBU and also support the Bank’s co-op and community development strategy through a combination of collaborative work within the SBU team, with other departments and externally. The lines of business included in the Specialty Finance Unit include: Healthcare, Senior Living, Not for Profit, Education, Affordable Cooperative Development Housing, and Community Development Financial Institutions. The SBU includes a focus on business activity that supports low income and underserved communities and applies the co-op model as a tool for economic and community development. The Specialty Finance SBU also plays a lead role in the coordination and execution of NCB’s corporate-wide cooperative and community development strategy and is an origination point for many of NCB’s social impact initiatives. The position provides relationship management for the existing customers and supports portfolio management and business development providing (i) excellent customer service, (ii) monitoring credit quality, (iii) assessing financial and operating performance, (iii) ascertaining compliance with legal documents, and iv) acting as the primary liaison with Credit, Loan Closing, Loan Support and other internal and external groups regarding underwriting, documentation, credit issues and examinations. The position engages with BDOs and Credit to resolve complex issues, assists BDOs in screening opportunities and provides support for special projects and ongoing SBU and reporting.
- Portfolio and Relationship Management
- Serve as a primary or secondary contact for borrowers, as assigned.
- Serve as point of contact for receipt and follow up of customer reporting and correspondence.
- Work directly with BDO, Servicing, and Credit to complete waivers, amendments, downgrade memos, and maintain covenant compliance. Address borrower credit requests by making specific recommendations to BDO and Credit for approval.
- Monitor covenant compliance and borrower financial performance.
- Evaluate borrower’s financial performance, covenant compliance and complete periodic written updates/reviews regarding same.
- Prepare call reports as needed.
- Keep SF SBU up-to-date with borrower performance at least quarterly via portfolio meetings and more frequently as needed.
- Manage inquiries requiring loan operations and servicing areas.
- Review and assess annual credit reviews prepared by the Credit team.
- Prepare Criticized and Grade 6/Watch memos on a quarterly basis, as directed.
- Work collaboratively with the Loan Administration, Servicing and Loan Closing Teams to resolve exceptions cited in Loan Review examinations and other related matters.
- Perform site visits, as directed.
- Serve as a backup for other team relationship manager.
- Ensure accurate records are kept for borrowers within the SF SBU and across NCB by coordinating with Closing, Credit and Servicing.
- Included in this role will be similar maintenance of NCB’s CRA investment portfolio.
- Manage Deal Flow / Support Business Development:
- Manage existing or new borrower requests from prospect to closing which includes the following: Support business development by analyzing financial statements, creating financial scenarios and models and effectively communicating in writing and verbally the assumptions and results of the analysis of the financial performance, condition, cash flow and ability to repay the loan under the terms. Additionally, the Relationship Manager should be able to identify potential risks and their mitigants, evaluate borrower management and describe the scope of the transaction and the underlying collateral.
- Coordinate with BDO to contact potential borrower to obtain materials and ask questions needed for review and eventual underwriting.
- Prepare triage memo and/or present deals for triage per the BDO’s request.
- Review loan for compliance with NCB credit policy and suggest mitigants or alternative structures to create compliance.
- Prepare proposal and commitment letters.
- Work closely with Credit during the underwriting process and be available to address questions and concerns.
- Monitor and manage the loan closing and documentation process internally. Review loan documents, ensure compliance with credit approval, maintain communication with closing attorney and loan closing department, and negotiate loan documents (subject to experience level).
- Support business development by assisting in screening transactions, including conducting financial analysis and responding to inquiries.
- Perform site visits of potential borrowers, as directed.
- Attend conferences, as directed.
- Support other Specialty Finance related team responsibilities and market initiatives.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and issues.
- Facilitate improvement in team processes.
- Prepare industry, line of business, SBU and board reports, as needed.
- BS/BA degree
- A minimum of 5-7 years of experience in a financial institution.
- Formal credit training or equivalent credit experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of credit administration.
- Experience as a credit analyst.
- Broad based experience as a portfolio manager, credit manager, underwriter or loan officer in corporate and/or community development banking, preferred.
- Knowledge of lending to not for profit organizations, healthcare, senior living, education, affordable housing, preferred.
- Experience with cooperatives, community development financing tools, including tax credits, a plus.
- Proficiency in Excel to manipulate and create financial spreadsheets and models.
- Proficiency in Word and Power Point.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks and processes is required to insure appropriate credit monitoring while balancing business development support
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to provide an increasing level of contribution to progressively more difficult underwriting and relationship management.
- Accustomed to high level customer contact.
If you would like to apply for this position, please send your resume to email@example.com